Sunday, February 24, 2013

Things are different here (part 2)

When it snows here, they don't put salt on the roads (hence the rust-free cars) but they do sand with bright red sand, which looks really weird to me. It also looks weird on your car.

I suppose they get it from sand pits that are in the red sandstone areas.


Out in the desert we saw this firehouse, and the view down the road from the firehouse. As far as we can tell, the only structure likely to catch fire within a gazillion miles of this firehouse is the firehouse itself.


New Mexico is still pretty Old West. In an upscale neighborhood in the Northeast, the gun store is right next to the pediatrician's office.


I see this sign on I-40 on my way to work every day. I love the wind sock attached to it!


Driving on Central Avenue, particularly in the evening, is stressful. I come home from the music studio on Central. There are three lanes of traffic in each direction, cross streets with and without lights, city buses (double length) stopping and pulling out constantly, and crazy/intoxicated/homeless people careening out into traffic. This was taken on a Sunday afternoon with little traffic. Now picture it full, at dusk, with people anxious to get home from work.


I'm not even sure what to say about this photo, except that things are different here.


BUT... some things never change. New house, same crazy pets.

No comments:

Post a Comment