Tuesday, August 6, 2013

The Desert Comes Back to Life

I am starting to learn the weather patterns here in Abq, and it is very different from the East Coast.  I saw what I expected to in the spring; plants became green and bloomed.  But then in June it seemed like everything was dead or dying and the city closed off all the trails and open spaces for a few weeks.  When it rained an inch in July and the trails were opened, I was shocked at how bad the desert plants looked.  I thought that the drought had taken a horrible toll.  But then "monsoon season" started.  That term sounds so strange to me when applied to the desert, but it just means that there is a rainy season.  Not MUCH rain, and the small amounts (under an inch) that come all at once in a downpour can cause a lot of chaos in the city from flooding.  But I soon noticed an amazing phenomenon.  There are weeds and grass springing up in the desert, my rose bushes broke out in new leaves and then bloomed again, lots of native shrubs and flowers are reblooming, and there are wild flowers in the desert!  Both types of cactus native to this region are producing new segments!  It's awesome to watch it happen.  New Pattern: Spring, Dormancy, Reawakening, Fall. 
a puddle immediately after a storm
Serious erosion.  See the "floating" fencepost?
cactus having babies!
rebloom

It's like a meadow!  With cactus!
Wild flowers.
Wild flower.

No comments:

Post a Comment